Prize: Jay Mathews’ forthcoming “Work Hard, Be Nice” –OR– Joanne Jacobs’ “Our School” –OR– My Manny Ramirez bobblehead doll…
Among low-income black and Hispanic kids, fill in the variables:
- A, % become college grads
- B, % enroll in college but never finish
- C, % get high school diploma only
- D, % no diploma, possibly GED
1. Citing your sources, what are A, B, C, and D? I’ve seen pieces of the data, but there are always limitations (sometimes just low-income but not race — or vice-versa; sometimes a single city, like Chicago and Hartford, but not national).
2. Which state is closest to having complete data? Ie, is there a state where I can look up any high school and find its college graduation rate, instead of its college enrollment rate?
Best answer wins.
–Guestblogger Michael Goldstein