Sounds incredible, doesn’t it? But at the same time I took up the challenge from Jay Mathews to “name” the high flying charter groups popping up around the country the Mayor called a press conference to announce new charter schools opening in New York City, calling them “the right idea for the time.”
Well, with all due respect Mr. Mayor, I think you’ve got to do better than that to raise your education creds with the Senator and LKG. Frankly, I prefer some of the other options offered up (for now, I won’t ID the authors):
- Harder Charters (think Better Cheddar)
- UPPiesS (Urban Powerhouse Public Schools)
- NUPPiesS (New Urban Powerhouse Public Schools)
- PUPPiesS (Paternalistic Urban Powerhouse Public Schools)
- Gap Reversers
- Gap Busters
- Accelerator Schools
- Growth Schools
- And Jay’s contributions: tough-love schools, teacher-driven schools, challenge schools, strong-principal schools, achievement-focus schools.
- And my own lame offering: elite charters.
Please, send more ideas to me. (And Mayor, feel free to fine tune your first try.)
–Guest blogger Richard Whitmire